Thursday, April 7, 2011

"60."

most of the people in our lives who are having birthdays this year and last are/were turning 60.
today is my birthday.
jeremy asked isaac how old i was going to be on my birthday.
isaac said very confidently, "60! we get cake!"
i reminded him quickly that i'm not turning 60.
in fact, all of a sudden, 32 sounds really wonderful.

last night as i tucked isaac into bed he said, "mommy, are you going to get old tonight?"
i assured him that i would just try to sleep like all the other nights of my life.
when he came into my room this morning, he didn't make his normal announcement, which is "ding, ding! the sun's out!!"
instead he came up to my side of the bed and said very cautiously, "did you get old?"
he was shocked that i look today like i looked yesterday.

i had a great birthday.
we had breakfast together.  never happens.
the kids and jeremy went to grab cupcakes and balloons while i was at my bible study.
balloons and cupcakes make me happy. so does my bible study.
i got to shop at the oak hill consignment sale (bj got me in early, and i came home with a new summer wardrobe for isaac.  bj bought it for me as a surprise while i wasn't looking.  so generous.  so hard to receive!  so undeserving.  so exciting!)
i barely even looked at girls' clothing, which demonstrates an amazing amount of self control.
wish i had some of that around the cupcakes.
i had a picnic lunch with jeremy on our front lawn while the kids napped.
yummy turkey sandwiches.  such a staple at our house.
i folded clothes with gracie, who cleaned our house today and acted like it was no big thing.
it's always a big thing.  our house is very "lived in" (which is what gentle, southern women call "a disaster.")
the kids and i went for a walk.
we ended up at the creek by our house to throw rocks.
then we ended up in the creek by our house to chase ada.
then we were all wet and so we went for a little creek walk.
i loved it.
my jeans were soaked to my knees and my ada was soaked to her head.
isaac faired better than both of us.
we went to the park for a picnic with dusty and claire and ellie.
also loved it.  it's so fun to watch our kids play together.
the slides were a hit.

tonight as i was giving isaac and ada a bath, isaac said in a very sad, disappointed voice, "well, you didn't get old today.  i think it's because you have a cold."
i don't have a cold.
he was also very sad that no people were coming over.
he said several times "why are your friends not coming?"
according to him, i failed at having a birthday.
but i loved my day today.
now if only my hubby would come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment