Saturday, May 21, 2011

He Said. She said.

Ada and Isaac say the most hilarious things.  Some of them I take for granted, for sure, and though I laugh in the moment, my nutty brain loses them after the present joy of the delight they bring.  Older moms always tell me to write stuff down and to take lots of pictures.  I know they offer me that instruction with the great intent of helping me to look back on these young years without the regret of undocumented childhoods.  I feel like I'm doing the best I can, and for the most part, "the best I can" does not include the preservation of the notes, pictures, and stories of our days like I wish it did.  For that reason, I want to write down some of the things that have escaped the mouths of my babes that have made me laugh recently.

I should preface them by saying that one of my favorite things about how kids speak is that they are so literal.  If I sit for a few minutes in what I hear from them, I delight in how hilarious it is that they say what they know to be true in ways that are not wrong and at the same time, are so not right.  Here are some highlights.

We looked at a preschool yesterday and a woman we met there asked Isaac how old he was.  He said he was 3.  She asked him when he would be 4.  He told her "after I'm 3, I think."

Ada loves cheese.  We give her cheese wheels and string cheese a lot.  She wandered into our bathroom and found a box of tampons.  Upon her discovery, she squealed with delight, "CHEESE!"  Oh so sad that she was mistaken!

Isaac loves to play "store" at the park.  He asks me what I need and I tell him.  He runs to pick up ground up tires from under the swings and brings them back to me in exchange for a twig or something as payment.  I told him i needed some poppy seed bread.  He told me he only had old poppy seed bread. I told him i didn't want to buy old poppy seed bread.  He told me he'd go check to see if i could find some that wasn't old.  When he returned, he said he had "old, new, and delicate."  I told him i had never heard of delicate poppy seed bread but that I'd like to try it.  Later I remembered that he had freaked out that very week about Ada breaking a piece of poppy seed bread that he was eating.  I tell him a lot, "That's breakable.  It's delicate."  Delicate poppy seed bread is my currently favorite thing to buy at his store.

Ada asks me to rock her at night after we read a few books.  I like to sing "Jesus Loves Me" to her while I rock.  She doesn't like for me to sing "Jesus Loves Me" to her or anything else for that matter.  She always tells me, "No song" as we start to rock.

The other day Isaac was taking a break for hitting his sister.  I was frustrated with him for (A) not knowing why he was in break, and (B) not being at all sad that she was hurting.  As Ada cried in the background, I told Isaac that it should break his heart that she was in pain.  Later that day as he was taking a break a second time for some sort of abusive action toward his sister, I asked him how he should feel.  He told me "my neck is breaking.  i am breaking my neck."

Ada is repeating most everything we say now, and she also says things on her own.  It's awesome.  One thing that she repeats after us is "Trader Joe's."  I hope we'll always remember how she says it.  It's so very, very cute.  I also like that she says "Hot dog" whenever we open the refrigerator or the microwave.    She can't get enough hot dogs.  Weird.  Though she knows lots of words, she also does her fair share of babbling.  I have NO idea what she's saying a lot of the time, but it's fun to listen to her make sounds.

Isaac likes to dance around and sing.  He goes through stages of favorite "hits."  These are some of the songs that make his cut:  Danger Zone from the Top Gun soundtrack.  Life is a Highway by Papa T (actually, Rascal Flatts sings it but because Rascal Flatts recently cut one of Papa T's songs, Isaac thinks Papa T sings Life is a Highway from Cars the Movie).  Walk Right in, Sit Right down (or at least that's what we call it) from the Forrest Gump soundtrack.  Dancing to it requires lots of sitting and standing.  It's a recent favorite.  Just this week he heard "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles and feel in love.  He even hits his arms on his legs with some sort of natural rhythm that matches that of the song.  He sings it over and over again like he's in a trance.  It's pretty funny.  He also likes to make up his own songs.  Often he sings "Buoy Wonder, Buoy Buoy Wonder" to the tune of I don't know what.  He made it up.  Also, Ada loves to play in the water, toilet water included.  When Isaac catches her doing it, he runs around singing "Ada's playing in the potty, Ada's playing in the potty."  I guess the song is more of a chant and possibly a cheer.  He loves it so much.  He gets so excited that even does a special dance while he sings.  The cutest part of it is how he jerks his elbow up to his ear while he dances around.  He is such a white boy.  Unfortunately, Ada is known to copy his moves.

The dog next door is named Hunny, not to be confused with Butch, her daddy, who has a hilarious mole catching habit.  Ada is obsessed with Hunny.  She looks for her from the Squirrel Room window, calls for her sometimes when we're up in the night, and peers over the fence when we are out on the deck in hopes of catching a glimpse of the prized pet next door.  Mostly Hunny isn't home, even though Butch is.  She goes to work with Stephen in his white pick up truck.  Ada freaks out everytime we see a white truck.  She says, "Hunny!  Hunny!  Truck!  Hunny!"  When we ask Ada where Hunny lives, she says "truck."

We were able to go to Memphis for Easter.  We went straight to Bammaw's assisted living apartments when we got to town because they were having an Easter egg hunt for the residents' families.  Though most kids found 64 or so eggs, Ada was really content with her 3 and Isaac with his handful.  Once they found out there was candy inside, there was a lot of happy happening for both of them.  The "Easter Bunny" showed up after the hunt.  As is typical of the personalities of our children, Ada chased the bunny around in circles and down the hall with great delight screaming "Bunny.  Bunny!  Hi Bunny!"  She gave him high-fives and pretty much stalked him during the gathering.  Isaac, on the other hand, literally got as low as he could to the floor under an older man's wheel chair.  He screamed too.  "Bunny!  Bunny!  Everyone hide!  There's a bunny!"

Later, at Ruru and Pop's house we had another egg hunt.  Ruru and Pops make each egg worth $1.  Gracie told her mom (who Isaac and Ada call Aunt Name) that she wanted a new Vera Bradley bag (speaking of he said, she said, RuRu said it was a Vera Wang bag!) and Name said she'd have to save her money up to buy it.  When RuRu told Isaac that Gracie was going to be hunting fast, Isaac said, "That's okay  I'll watch Pops hide the eggs."  In reality I think he may have even helped Pops hide the eggs.  Thankfully it didn't skew the outcome any.

Easily our favorite easter "he said" is Isaac shouting "Alive!" whenever we say, "Jesus is ______."  Last year when we would say "Christ is risen," he would say "Christ is deed."  He is so funny.  and wonderful.

We have a "This" addiction at our house.  A "This" is a pacifier.  When Isaac was a baby, we hold his pacifier out to him and would ask him "do you want this?"  Thus the name.  Not only is he addicted to his "this" Ada is also addicted to hers.  It's obsessive really.  Out of control.  Though Isaac is awesome about only needing his to sleep now (only because of fear.  he knows we'll throw it away if we see him with it out of bed), Ada begs for hers all day long.  We have let her have it recently because she's been teething so badly, and she likes to chew on it.  We talk about getting rid of Isaac's but haven't done it yet.  One of our favorite families just had a visit from the "Paci Fairy" to take their daughter's pacifier in exchange for some big girl toys.  When I introduced the idea of the "This Fairy" to Isaac, he went nutty.  "She can't come here, can she?  Check the windows!  Lock the doors!"  When he freaked out, I backed up and made sure he knows she only comes if we invite her.  I was sorry I mentioned it.  I was even more sorry the next morning when we hopped out of the car in the church parking lot for a meeting, Ada sucking hard on her "This" of course, and a random woman in the parking lot told us that the "Pacifier Fairy is going to want that."  Isaac looked at me horrified.  Since then, he's taken his own "This Fairy" nightmare and turned it into a game.  He chases Ada around in circles saying, "I am the This Fairy.  Give me that This!"  and she runs and squeals, and only cries if the mean "This Fairy" succeeds on his mission.
  
I love them.  And I love all of the little funnies that come out of their mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment